Arab League denounced new Israeli attack on Al Aqsa islamic mosque

The Secretary General of the Arab League, Ahmed Aboul Gheit, condemned today a new assault by the Israeli police on the Al Aqsa Mosque, in occupied East Jerusalem, where they arrested nearly 400 Palestinians.

In a statement, the officer called for a halt to ‘the dangerous escalation in the occupied territories’.

The irresponsible actions of the government of Israel affect the religious feelings of millions of Muslims around the world, he stressed.

The executive, headed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, must put an end to such provocations that seek to direct its internal political crisis toward the Palestinian people, he said.

Aboul Gheit referred to the wave of protests that Netanyahu is facing in his country over a controversial judicial reform, which has the Executive in check.

Several Arab countries strongly condemned the military operation in the Mosque, on Wednesday, where Palestinian worshipers were expelled, so as to allow Jews to enter.

We denounce the Israeli incursion and the reprehensible attacks against people, in flagrant violation of all international norms and laws, the Egyptian Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

The text warned that the systematic operations on religious sites, especially the Jerusalem Esplanade of the Mosques, fuel the anger of the Palestinian people, Muslims and any honest person in the world.

The Saudi Foreign Ministry criticized the assault and expressed its ‘categorical rejection to these practices that undermine peace efforts and are contrary to international principles and norms’.

The Jordanian and Qatari foreign ministries also demanded an end to Israeli provocations.

Israeli police early this morning carried out a new attack on the Al Aqsa Mosque, where they forcibly evicted hundreds of Palestinians who were holding a Ramadan vigil.

According to the official Wafa news agency, the police fired tear gas into the building after breaking windows, resulting in numerous cases of asphyxiation.

The Palestinian Red Crescent Society in Jerusalem denounced that the Israeli police prevented the entry of doctors to help the wounded, many of whom were detained while others were beaten.

Shortly thereafter, under a large police deployment, numerous Jews went into the area.

Israel occupied the eastern part of the metropolis in the 1967 war, and has since kept the territory under its control despite UN Security Council resolutions.

Prensa Latina

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Tu dirección de correo no será publicada.